Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Volunteering nearly Complete... Now the real work begins

Hello again from Maharajgunj. I've only got twenty-six minutes to complete this post before power goes out, so I'll try and keep things brief. Tomorrow will be my last full day of medical volunteer work in Kathmandu, and I'm quite ready for things to be over at Man Mohan. You never really know what you're getting yourself into when you sign up for an internship on the other side of the world. The internship experience, like any good journey, has had its share of ups and downs (Oh, and by no means is it over yet. In fact, you might say the real meat and potatoes of the whole situation has merely begun.) On the one hand, I'll miss the clinical/education part of the work; the patients, the morning rounds, and even the hour long trek to Thamel each morning. On the other hand, I won't be missing the sometimes shady administration, the general lack of sanitation, and ofcourse, the pig-slaughtering tables out in front of the hospital each morning (and the awful stench that accompanies them.)
I've been reading over Parker Palmer's Let Your Life Speak lately, and I reckon that I'll be writing in more detail about that tomorrow. For now I'd just like to say that, as expected, the goal of my research has been somewhat modified. Since the work that I undertook didn't really constitute much of a "volunteer" position per se, I have decided to write instead about self-reflection as it deals with choosing vocation. In other words, what to do with our lives, in terms of a career. I've always been told, "Do something you enjoy doing because you're going to have to do that for the next thirty or so years of your life." But what is this whole enjoy part all about? And what about personal satisfaction, sense of accomplishment, duty, and contribution to society? Calling this an important issue would be a gross understatement. It's a huge deal! Not just for college students either, as I've come to find out through reading Palmer's essays...

1 comment:

Turn said...

Thomas, horrible news, our papers are due in five days! On the 26th

http://webs.wofford.edu/pittmandw/interim/